Wed, Oct 19|
MDCPS Board Meeting (October 2022)
Join PRISM to speak at the school board meeting in favor of recognizing October as LGBTQ History Month.
Time & Location
Oct 19, 2022, 5:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
MDCPS Building, 1450 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33132, USA
About the Event
In 2021, Miami-Dade County Public Schools (MDCPS) recognized October as LGBTQ History Month for the first time within our schools. Unfortunately, MDCPS voted 8-1 against renewing that recognition this year after intimidation from alt-right hate groups and our state government.
We are calling on students and families to mobilize and speak at the school board meeting on Wednesday, October 19th at 5:30pm to prove to MDCPS that this vote was out of step with the people of Miami. We're flooding the full 90 minutes of their public hearing with the same stories of our rich LGBTQ+ history that they've deprived of students in our schools.
We must let the school board know that…
- LGBTQ-inclusive history education benefits all students.
- Erasing LGBTQ history silences our students and their families.
- Miami Dade County Public Schools must foster an inclusive, safe, and premier academic experience for all.
- MDCPS must work harder to ensure the emotional and physical safety of attendees at school board meetings
- We will not go out in silence!
We need YOU to join us at the Miami-Dade County School Board Meeting on Wednesday, October 19th at 5:30pm to speak in favor of recognizing October as LGBTQ History Month.
The deadline to sign up to speak online has passed. To sign up in person, please visit the clerk's desk at the meeting.
We must continue to fight for LGBTQ students and appreciate all your help!